When you are controlling a chain of sequences in the job stream and taking advantage of reusable (multiple instances) jobs it is useful to be able to pass the Invocation ID from the master controlling sequence and have it passed down and assigned to the job run. This can easily be done with needing to manual enter the values in each of the sequences, by leveraging the DSJobInvocationId variable. For this to work:
- The job must have ‘Allow Multiple Instance’ enabled
- The Invocation Id must be provided in the Parent sequence must have the Invocation Name entered
- The receiving child sequence will have the invocation variable entered
- At runtime, a DataStage invocation id instance of the multi-instance job will generate with its own logs.
This approach allows for the reuse of job and the assignment of meaningful instance extension names, which are managed for a single point of entry in the object tree.
- Infosphere Datastage – Standard Practice- Sequence Naming Conventions
- What is a DataStage Sequence
- InfoSphere DataStage – Ways to Create a Datastage Parameter Set
IBM Knowledge Center > InfoSphere Information Server 11.5.0
InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage > Designing DataStage and QualityStage jobs > Building sequence jobs > Sequence job activities > Job Activity properties